BLACK GRAPE VARIETIES,
RED WINE STYLES

There are currently 45 black grape varieties authorised or temporarily authorised in Hungary, ranging from Alibernet to Zweigelt. Compared to the white varieties, there is much less variation in their ranking.

Kékfrankos is the most common variety (also overall), with more than 12% of the country’s vineyards planted with this Carpathian Basin variety, while the percentage of international, French varieties has increased in recent years. Proportionately, black grapes account for 30% of the vineyard area, with white grapes making up the remaining 70%, meaning that 19,670 hectares of black varieties are currently planted in Hungary. The proportions of black grapes are much more concentrated than those of white grapes, with the top ten most planted varieties accounting for 96% of all planted varieties. Both red and rosé wine is made from black varieties. These can be grouped according to origin (e.g. international or Carpathian Basin varieties) as well as style.

Blauburger
Cabernet Franc
Cabernet Sauvignon
Csókaszőlő
Egri Bikavér
Gamay noir
Kadarka
Kékfrankos
Malbec
Medina
Menoire
Merlot
Nero
Pinot Noir
Portugieser
Red blends
REDy
Siller
Syrah
Szekszárdi Bikavér
Turán
Villányi Franc
Zweigelt
Interview with Wojciech Bońkowski Master of Wine
The Hungarian Wine Summit returns, hosted by the Hungarian Wine Marketing Agency

The Hungarian Wine Summit returns, hosted by the Hungarian Wine Marketing Agency

More
Olaszrizling can do it all! - In conversation with Mihály Figula
Three decades of friendship with Hungarian winemakers - interview with Caroline Gilby

Three decades of friendship with Hungarian winemakers - interview with Caroline Gilby

More
Furmint in the glass, Furmint on the plate: the variety’s role in gastronomy
What happens at the Pécs Research Institute of Viticulture and Oenology

What happens at the Pécs Research Institute of Viticulture and Oenology

More
What wine should we drink on the ski slopes?
Beginner’s guide to Hungarian wine

Beginner’s guide to Hungarian wine

More
2019 - 2021 All rights reserved!
Facebook Youtube Instagram